5.22.2005

Li Hongzhang's Poem After 1895 Treaty of Shimonoseki:

I was inspired by the House of Flying Daggers


Having never released horse saddles or left chariots,
I painstakingly worked out;
Till the reckoning of disaster did I find out
that it was not easy to simply die.
For 300 years, the foot-steps of my motherland had been staggering;
Along the road of 8000 li distance
were scenes of hardship-stricken mourning populace.
In the sobre autumn winds, I, a minister in solitude, was in tears
beside my treasured sword;
With the sun setting, I now stand by the campaigning flag on the generalissimo's altar;
Dusts of war are still floating over all seas, with no sign of settling down;
Gentlemen, please not look upon the developments of our country
as a disinterested bystander.

No comments: