10.16.2004

Scouting for Boys


5 years ago I joined the Boy Scouts of the Philippines in preparation for my joining in the Rover Scouting, the Service Section of the Scouting Movement, 2 years from then. Even if it's not mandatory to be in the Boy Scouting Movement before entering Rover Scouting, I still believe that having an experience may do me good.

In the movement, I have to understand and agree to live by the Scout Oath (In my honor, I will do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; To help other people at all times; To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.), the Scout Law (A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent), the Scout Motto (BE PREPARED. In whatever comes your way and in meeting the challenges in your life.), and the Scout Slogan (DO A GOOD TURN DAILY. Do helpful acts of kindness quietly, without boasting, and without expecting reward or pay). Doing AT LEAST ONE GOOD TURN every day is a normal part of a Scout's life, whether it's just helping set the table or saving a drowning person, it doesn't matter.

Being a senior scout was a tiring yet overwhelming experience as I went camping, mountain hiking, and tree planting to earn my badges. My gender was not an issue in my troop because as far as Lord Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell was concerned, "Everything on two legs who calls itself a boy has God within him.." and I don't mind being one of the boys neither. What they can do, I can too! Except to pee with 5 others in our kaybo (camping toilet) at the same time 'coz it's really physically impossible... I was already a Philippine Red Cross volunteer first aider that time, so I didn't have to undergo the training anymore, and was one of the first aid volunteer trainors for the whole troop. After a year, I became a Sea Scout. I was trained by the Philippine Coast Guards themselves to help save a drowning person. They even called us the "Junior Coast Guards". Finally, I turned 16, I can therefore become a Rover Scout!

The day after my birthday, I had my "vigil" (the Rover-to-be considers how their life is going and if they want to make the commitment to becoming a Rover) and started my Squire Training. After 6 months of being a Squire, I had my "investiture" (a ceremony where a member of the public or a scout is inducted into the Rover Crew). Unfortunately, it was my last year in high school, but as the song goes, "save the best for last", I gave my all to do my sworn duty as a
Rover(ette) - SERVICE. I, together with the rest of the troop, helped our community by cleaning the polluted seaport and outreaching to the poor and needy within the 3 remaining months of my high school life.

As of today, I am not a registered rover(ette) anymore, nor a registered boy scout, but I still live my life as boy scouts do.

No comments: